Food boxes are easy to have a sentimental relationship with. They can feel cheap and shabby, the lids are frequently tough to locate, and the pieces can take up an entire cabinet.
A good food storage container, on the other hand, makes a lot of difference: you can tidily refrigerate meal planned servings, bring healthier food leftovers to work, heat it up, and even serve food from some.
A proper storage container must have a tight seal and, for food such as soup, it must be leakproof. We prefer ones that can be easily stored and stacked on top of each other without slipping.
We evaluate food storage containers for airtightness, leak-proof, and staining at the Good Housekeeping Institute.
We also assess how well they survive up in the freezer, oven, and dishwasher, if they are intended to do so. While not all of the containers listed below have been analyzed in our lab, we have used them before and they have stood up to the even greater test of time and real-world use.
Our top picks, listed below, include a variety of plastic, glassware, and silicone bags designed to replace single-use plastic Ziploc bags.
How To Choose The Best Food Storage Unit
Before you begin reading, here are a few details to keep in mind when buying food containers:
MATERIAL: Glass and plastic are two of the most prominent food storage materials. Glass has more applications and is often used in the microwave, whereas plastic cannot. The trade-off is that glass is bulkier and more likely to break, making it unsuitable for travel.
Despite the fact that most plastic is BPA-free and totally safe, some buyers still think that glass is the “safer” option for avoiding chemical leaching.
SHAPE: The majority of food storage units are round or rectangular in shape. Round are better for salads and liquids, while rectangular are better for meats and sides, and the straight angles stack neatly without taking up too much space.
We prefer containers with sharp angles over flared edges, whether round or rectangular, to avoid taking up extra, unnecessary space in your refrigerator and shelves.
LIDS: A non-sealing lid is a deal-breaker. Some simply close by pressing down, but most have straps on the sides.
We prefer lids without straps since they are thinner and easier to store, but it’s important to note that the straps provide an additional source of leak prevention.
The following are the best storage containers to buy in 2021:
Best Food Storage Containers In General
1. Brilliance Food Storage Containers:
- Freezer, microwave, and dishwasher safe; BPA-free
- Transparent and stain-resistant
- Stackable with ease
- Lids are difficult to store.
These food boxes are brilliant for a variety of reasons, including the fact that they are totally transparent (apart from the lid), pile conveniently, and are ideal for taking on the go because they are light, durable, and water tight.
They have a tight seal that clips shut for added security. They come in a variety of sets and volumes that are useful in the kitchen or for loading salads.
Based on whatever you want to hold inside, some containers have detachable compartments.
Best Value Food Storage Containers
2. Pruta food containers
- Freezer, microwave, and dishwasher safe
- Very reasonably priced
- Slim, colourful lids are simple to locate and store inside containers.
- To ensure proper sealing, lids must be strongly pushed down on all sides.
- Plastic is pliable, and large sizes are often not advised for transporting liquids due to the risk of spillage.
These containers nest neatly inside each other and come in a variety of sizes to store everything from pints of soup to spice flavourings.
The lids are thin and easily snap on. They also store well and are easy to find due to their bright green color.
If you use several containers at once, they stack with little threat of sliding off or toppling over. We’re also not scared of losing one or loaning it to a buddy because of the low price.
The Best Food Storage Contents For The Pantry
3. Good Grip Pop 8-Piece Baking Container Set
- Dishwasher safe on top rack; BPA-free
- Shapes and sizes come in a variety of shapes and sizes.
- Transparent and stackable
- Not suitable for taking with you on the go.
OXO’s well-known POP containers now have a new look. The lids are one-handed: merely push a button-down to create an airtight seal.
The lids are now thinner, easier to clean, and dishwasher safe. Some also store fittings, such as the pictured half-cup scoops, which live within the container so that you always have them on hand to measure dry goods.
This Baking Set is made to fit a five-pound pack of sugar and flour, and also a one-pound packet of brown sugar. POP containers are available in a variety of sets and sizes, allowing you to purchase exactly what you require. They stockpile neatly and securely, making it easy to keep track of needed refills.
The Best Glass Food Storage Containers
4. Simply Store Meal Prep Glass Food Storage Containers
- Safe for reezer, microwave, dishwasher, and preheated oven.
- Lids that are BPA-free
- Assorted sizes are ideal for storing leftovers and transporting them on the go.
- After repeated use, the lids crack on the side, but they can be replaced.
This set’s shapes stand out for their adaptability and they could be used for a range of different needs.
Because of their straight edges, they are easy to transport, stack tidily, and take up little space. The containers enclosure and their lids are thin for easy storage, and the various bright colors aid in the identification of missing pieces. Pyrex containers are oven safe, making them ideal for warming leftover food, crisping small snacks, or using in an air fryer or toaster cookers.
5. Foodsaver Preserve & marinate Vacuum Containers
- freezer, microwave safe
- Top-shelf washer safe
- The 10-cup vessel is slim and rectangular, with a long rectangular total area.
- Simple to use and with a clear base
- Marinate mode yields comparable results to other types of marinating, but it can be washed and reused safely.
We’re seeing an increase in the number of vacuum seal containers on the market. These are exclusive to FoodSaver and are compatible with their portable vacuum sealants, including the one included with this well-tested vacuum sealer.
In our assessments, the containers did prove to be simple to use and to keep their seal for several days. (We could tell because the green indicator depresses when the air is completely removed.)
We used them to store dry salad greens and fresh salmon in the fridge, and they can also be used to tenderize food without having to worry about clogged messes or one-time use brown paper bags. They’re clear (so you can see what’s inside without having to remove the cover), slim, compact, and light.
The Best Airtight Glass Food Storage Container
6. Total Solution Glass Food Storage:
- It is safe to use in the freezer, microwave
- Top-rack and dishwasher safe
- Lids snap into place.
- There are a lot of lids with clips to store.
Snapware’s Total Solution Glass line repeatedly proven completely airtight if you’re searching for glass containers that would store food fresh for a long time (assume, if you’re trying to put meals in the freezer for prolonged storage).
Just keep in mind that the locking lids are plastic, so use plastic wrap or waxed cardboard as a barrier to avoid soiling when you microwave.
7. Set of NEST LOCK Plastic Food Storage Containers
- Freezer, microwave safe
- Top-rack dishwasher safe.
- Assorted nesting sizes ensure that you will always have the correct size container on hand.
- Lids are bulky and difficult to lock into place if not properly positioned on the container.
The Nest Storage Containers come in a variety of sizes. If you’re short on space, the Nest Plastic containers are ideal. This collection includes nested containers and lids, so when storing them, you only need to make room for the biggest container.
To create an airtight seal, the lids snap onto the containers. Because they are see-through, you can see within. Larger sizes are ideal for batch cooking.
The Most Long-Lasting Food Storage Containers
8. Trueseal Glass Food Storage Containers with Lids by Hocking
- Freezer-, microwave-, dishwasher-, and oven-safe up to 425°F without lids.
- Lids have clear lids and are simple to put on and remove.
- Containers stack, but lids lack a clip to avoid slipping.
In our tests, these containers received the highest marks for keeping air out (and thus keeping the contents fresh).
They are made from glass and can withstand temperatures of up to 425°F. The lids are transparent with a flexible rim that will not crack over time. The lids are textured, and the side lip aids in opening and closing.
Best Meal Prep Food Storage Container
9. Everyware containers
- BPA-free; freezer, microwave, and dishwasher safe
- Great value
- The lids are only one colour and are not transparent.
These storage containers are slim and compact, stack conveniently in the fridge, and travel well. They feature an airtight and leakproof seal.
They have a small lip on the lid that makes it easy to open, as well as small handles on the edges that can be used to easily transfer items into and out of the microwave.
When it’s time to throw them out, they’re completely recyclable. Good Cook also makes a variety of other meal-prep containers with separate compartments for food.
They’re cheap enough to throw away if you don’t want to bring them home, but durable enough to use again and again, and dishwasher safe.