WeChat is one of the most divisive social media networks on the internet. It has been loaded with so many difficulties and concerns that some individuals may find it intrusive and unsafe.
Let’s take a look at some of the hazy facts and specifics that can make you Delete WeChat Accountand regret joining the site in the first place.
If these debates persuade you to alter your mind, you can choose to cancel your account and quit the platform permanently.
How to delete WeChat Account
Before you delete your WeChat account, you should remove all personally identifying information from it and unlink any other social media accounts from it, like Facebook or QQ.
Before you remove your account, make sure you’ve turned off auto-renewal if you have a current subscription. It will stop you from being billed automatically every month.
How to close a WeChat account via App
- On your phone, open the WeChat app.
- In the bottom right corner, tap the Me button.
- Select Settings.
- Select Account Security from the options page.
- Scroll down to WeChat Security Center and tap it.
- Select Account Cancellation from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Request Cancellation button.
- At the bottom, tap Next.
- To confirm, tap the Agree and confirm cancellation button.
Delete your WeChat account via email
You can also remove your WeChat account by sending an email to the customer care team and requesting that they cancel your account.
To send an account deletion request, follow the procedures below:
- Step 1: Log in to your WeChat account and open your email client.
- Step 2: Send an email to [email protected] to contact WeChat’s customer service.
- Step 3: Make the subject of the email “REQUEST TO DELETE MY ACCOUNT.”
- Step 4: In the body of the email, request that your account be deleted permanently and that all of your personal information be removed from the site. Include any account information you have, such as your WeChat ID or phone number.
- Step 5: When you’re through writing your email, click Send.
Depending on their user volume, the Customer Support team may take some time to respond. Please remember to wait till your account is deleted on WeChat. Once they’ve completed the deletion procedure, you’ll receive a confirmation email.
How to freeze/disable your WeChat account
You can Freeze your account to temporarily disable it if you wish to take a break from WeChat or if you believe your account has been hijacked.
This action will log you out of all other devices and prevent others from accessing your account. And don’t worry, your account will not be cancelled. Your account information will not be lost after you have frozen your WeChat account, and your friends will still be able to find you in their Contacts and send you messages.
Follow the instructions below on your device’s official WeChat app (Android or iOS) to freeze your account:
- Step 1: Log into your account using your phone number/email and password by opening the WeChat app on your smartphone.
- Step 2: In the lower right corner of your screen, tap the Me tab.
- Step 3: Select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Step 4: Next, select Account Security.
- Step 5: Select WeChat Security Centre from the drop-down menu.
- Step 6: From the drop-down menu, select Freeze Account.
- Step 7: Finally, press the Freeze button.
Note: Do not repeatedly freeze and unfreeze your account. Otherwise, your account will be automatically frozen for security reasons, and you will be unable to unfreeze it.
Read Also How To Delete Your BandLab Account
How to delete your credit card from your WeChat account
Follow the procedures below on your device’s official WeChat app (Android or iOS) to deactivate or unlink your payment method, such as your credit card or debit card, from WeChat Pay:
- Step 1: Launch the WeChat app on your device and sign in with your phone number (or email address) and password.
- Step 2: In the lower right corner of your screen, tap the Me tab.
- Step 3: Select WeChat Pay from the drop-down menu.
- Step 4: Finally, select Wallet.
- Step 5: After that, tap on Cards.
- Step 6: Go to the details page for the card you wish to unlink by selecting it and tapping on it.
Step 7: In the top right corner of your screen, tap the “…” menu.
- Step 8: Finally, at the bottom of the screen, tap Unlink to unlink your bank card.
Note: If you don’t add another payment method to your account, you won’t be able to pay for your subscription.
Why do people think of Deleting their WeChat account
WeChat is popular for gathering intelligence and extensive monitoring by the Chinese government because it is a China-based platform.
A whole lot of Chinese rules and regulations govern it, which include strict censorship and interception guidelines. Tencent, the parent firm of WeChat, is mandated by Chinese law to share information with the government.
So, if WeChat and the Chinese intelligence agency want to discover you and punish you, everything you do on the app is exposed to them.
Over 90% of Chinese make use of WeChat and as a result, the government uses that platform to carry out mass surveillance and monitoring of its consumers (not only limited to its citizens).
Tencent, the parent firm of WeChat, received a 0 out of 100 rating from Amnesty International in 2016 for its use of encryption to protect its users’ human rights.
Tencent was found not to be using end-to-end encryption on its platform and to be disregarding internet risks to human rights.
If your privacy and online safety are important to you, you should avoid using WeChat as much as possible.
WeChat was attacked with malware called XcodeGhost malware in its iOS app discovered on Apple’s App Store in 2015, according to Apple. According to reports, the malware may ask users for their credentials, read their clipboard history, and access URLs.
WeChat has been banned numerous times around the world because of concerns about human rights violations related to mass surveillance and lack of privacy.
Countries like India, Taiwan, Iran, and Russia have previously been banned by WeChat due to national security concerns. WeChat, along with a slew of other Chinese apps, is still prohibited in India due to worries about residents’ privacy and safety.
WeChat limits the total amount of user-generated content that may be shared. WeChat is very notorious for doing that.
Contents and materials that are deemed controversial by the federal government are usually blocked and deleted by WeChat (WeChat has a history of doing that). The 2019 Hong Kong elections, as well as the global Covid-19 outbreak, were recently discovered to be censored on WeChat.
As you already know, WeChat participates immensely in situations regarding. I hope this has enlightened you on how WeChat uses its users for intelligence and monitoring.
If you take your online presence and privacy extremely important, it would be wise for you If you deactivate your account and never get back on the platform.